Part-time contract for 20 hours per week for up to 1 year
(Apply by December 18)
Since 1952, the Asheville Area Arts Council has been supporting the arts in Buncombe County. We are the second oldest arts council in the state of North Carolina and one of the oldest in the United States. Our mission is to keep the arts at the heart of our community, and we fulfill this mission by supporting arts organizations and artists in Buncombe County through advocacy, public art, and services for creatives. Learn more at ashevillearts.com.
The Asheville Area Arts Council seeks a part-time contract development manager to oversee our ongoing fundraising and membership needs. Reporting to the executive director, the Development Manager will be responsible for donor and membership cultivation and retention, grant writing and reporting, sponsorships, and will assist with grant administration and development planning.
The Asheville Area Arts Council has two membership programs. The Arts Ally Membership is a general program focused on individual or dual arts advocates, supporters, and enthusiasts. The Organizational Membership program is focused on providing support and benefits to local nonprofit and for-profit arts organizations.
The arts council administers three to four grant programs on a yearly basis and is the designated Grassroots funding partner with the NC Arts Council in charge of administering state arts funds in Buncombe County.
Asheville Area Arts Council’s largest event is an annual Creative Sector Summit. Last year would have been the 10th year. This also includes a dinner to present the state of the local arts sector to community leadership and should be considered our largest annual fundraising event.
- Must have at least 5 years of experience working in nonprofit development
- A Bachelor’s degree is required, but a graduate degree in nonprofit manager or a related field is preferred
- Superb written, verbal, and interpersonal skills required
- Strong organization, time management, and problem-solving skills required
- Creative, self-starter attitude preferred
- Must have a donor and volunteer service mentality
- Must have fundraising software and tools expertise
- Experience with Little Green Light and MembershipWorks is preferred
- Grant writing experience is required
- Membership program management experience is preferred
- Experience with WordPress, MailChimp, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Linkedin, Zoom, and YouTube preferred
- Planning and evaluating fundraising campaigns and activities
- Identifying and stewarding prospective donors and members
- Staying on top of fundraising trends and the nonprofit community
- Communicating with donors and staff via email, phone or social media
- Answering donor, member, and staff inquiries in a timely fashion
- Building donor and member relationships
- Creating solicitation materials for the fundraising and membership
- Tracking development goals and producing status reports as requested
- Identifying potential grant opportunities, and applying for grants
- Tracking grant reporting requirements and producing required reports
- Assisting with the administration of the arts councils grant programs
- Other duties as requested
SCHEDULE AND REQUIREMENTS
This position will be regularly scheduled to work approximately 15-20 hours per week including occasional evenings and weekends.
This is a contract position and the applicant must be able to work remotely.
Pay Rate: $18-25/hour, dependent on experience
Please email a cover letter, resume, and references to Katie Cornell at email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
The Asheville Area Arts Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate against any individual or group of individuals on the basis of age, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status. The Asheville Area Arts Council encourages applications from historically underrepresented and minority populations. Submitting an application does not constitute a promise or guarantee of employment.