A Call to All Asheville Artists!
The Creative Sector Summit is quickly approaching and we wanted to let all the artists know which programs they might be interested in. This year’s theme is the “importance of arts education to workforce development and the economy”. To clarify, arts education is for ALL AGES, not just the youth, and we have made sure that there are plenty of activities and talks that artists and creative entrepreneurs would benefit from.
Saturday, April 9th – Asheville Art Museum
Upper Eastwing | Sol Lewitt Gallery
12pm: City of Asheville’s Arts Programs
Presented By: Brenda Mills, MBA, Community & Economic Development Specialist, City of Asheville
Brenda Mills with the City of Asheville will break down the City’s 1% for Art and Calls for Artists, as well as upcoming projects.
3pm: The Business of Art Panel
- Sarah Benoit, Director of Training, JB Media Group, LLC
- Patrick Fitzsimmons, Executive Director, Mountain Bizworks
- Johanna Hagarty, Program Manager: Artist Curriculum, Asheville Area Arts Council
- Karie Reinertson, CoFounder, Shelter Design Studio
- Maria Spadaro, Coordinator, Business and Hospitality, AB Tech
- Jody Stevenson, Job Developer/Skills Training Manager, Goodwill Career Center
A panel discussion with local training and educational facilities that work directly with artists in supporting the growth of their business. Participants include Mountain Bizworks and Birds Eye Business Planning, Goodwill Career Center, AB Tech, JB Media Group, Shelter Design Studio, and the Asheville Area Arts Council.
Upper Eastwing | Classroom
1pm: Access to Lending: Speed Dating for Artists and Small Businesses
*Limited Seating Available
- Presented By: Patrick Fitzsimmons, Executive Director, Mountain Bizworks
- Lenders: Erika McGilley, Western North Carolina Business Lender, Natural Capital Investment Fund
- Patrick Dorian, Director of Business Finance, Mountain Bizworks
- Kelly Foster, Small Business Lender, Mountain Bizworks
A presentation and small group mentoring event with Mountain Bizworks and Natural Capital Investment Fund’s Business Loan Program (NCIF) to learn about the variety of lending organizations and opportunities available for artists. This session will also give individuals the chance to meet with representatives from those organizations to ask individual questions that can help your business grow to the next level. Bring your business plan, or questions about lending and walk away more prepared to help your business grow!
Upper Eastwing | Art PLAYce
11am-4pm: AMPlification Lounge
Presented By: Asheville Music Professionals
Asheville Music Professionals (AMP) will be offering free coffee and light snacks in the lounge accompanied by music from Drew Heller, Justin Perkins, Adama Dembele, and Joe Presti.
Upper Eastwing | Film Room
11am-4pm: IamAVL Film Lounge
Presented By: IamAVL
IamAVL will be sharing their Fall 2015 and Spring 2016 Music Reel in the film room, along with a 20th anniversary video of A+ Schools.
4pm-5pm: Networking Event
Please join the Asheville Area Arts Council in capping our 2-day intensive Summit with an informal networking event. Join us at this unique social gathering for professionals. Enjoy a musical performance by local group West End Trio accompanied by drinks and snacks.