- to show independent, experimental, avant-garde, and documentary films and videos that otherwise may not be shown in Asheville, North Carolina.
- to provide a place for discussion of ideas and debate.
- to celebrate the subversive and creative possibilities of the moving image.
- to support and encourage media makers to create new works of art.
- to cultivate an adventurous community of filmmakers and film lovers.
- to host filmmakers with their work as often as possible.
Mechanical Eye Microcinema was founded by Charlotte Taylor and Lisa Sousa, two film enthusiasts wanting to exhibit exciting work in Asheville. We are enamored with showing actual celluloid when feasible in an age when digital projection is ubiquitous, to keep alive the magical flicker of the film projector. To this end, we strive to project S8 and 16mm prints regularly, although these will be mixed with conventional video. We are collectively run by film makers and enthusiasts, and invite you to join us!