Celebrating Ageless Creativity in Western North Carolina
Sponsored by Good Moods at Grace Ridge and benefiting the Burke Arts Council
Grace Ridge Retirement Community is hosting an invitational art exhibit featuring senior artists throughout Western North Carolina. The objective of Creative Age is to celebrate the talent of both professional and non-professional artists age 60 or older. This invitational exhibit will be open to the public June 9-17, 2016.
Grace Ridge Retirement Community
500 Lenoir Road
Morganton, NC 28655
A $5 display fee per submission is required with all proceeds benefiting the Burke Arts Council.
- Entry Deadline is Friday, May 13, 2016, at 11:59 p.m. To submit your work, visit our Artist Call for Entries page.
- Notifications will be the week of May 16, 2016.
- Cancellations must be by Monday, May 30, 2016.
Monday, June 8, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Artwork will be received at Grace Ridge Retirement Community. All artists must complete the two tags included below for each entry; one should be attached to the back of the artwork and one will be submitted to the registration staff.
VIP and Media Reception
Wednesday, June 8, 3-5 p.m.
A VIP reception will be held to introduce the exhibit to the media, community and business leaders, etc. All selected artists are invited to attend. Light refreshments will be served.
Exhibit Open to the Public
Thursday, June 9 – Friday, June 17
Public Exhibit Hours: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Saturday, June 18, 1-4 p.m.
Sunday, June 19, 1-4 p.m.
Monday, June 19, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
All accepted work must remain for the duration of the exhibit and must be picked up on the designated removal days. Any artists who permitted work to be sold will be notified prior to removal day if their art was sold. A signature will be required in order to remove artwork.
Artwork will only be accepted based on the following guidelines:
- The artist must be 60 years of age or over and a resident of North Carolina; work must be original.
- The artist must declare classification as Professional or Non-Professional.
o Professional: Person who meets at least two of the following criteria:
- sold the type of art entered in the contest/exhibition through commercial channels;
- exhibited in a professional gallery;
- holds professional membership in a guild or association.
- Non-Professional: Person who does not meet two of the “Professional” criteria above.
- Craft: Original objects only (NO kits or molds) including fiber arts, basketry, glassworks, ceramic works (bowls, cups, etc.), needlepoint, etc.
- Digital: Computer imagery generated using a graphics/paint program such as Photoshop, Illustrator or Corel Painter; does NOT include digitally adjusted photographs.
- Drawing: Pencil, pen, ink, graphite, markers, scratchboards, etc.
- Mixed Media & Collage: Combines multiple mediums, with no one medium predominating.
- Pastel: Pastel, chalk, charcoal and oil paste.
- Photography: Any image made using a film-based or digital camera, scanner, pinhole camera, etc.; including digitally manipulated photos, hand-tinted photos, photograms, etc.
- Print: Etching, linocut, woodcut, monoprint, silkscreen, lithograph, etc.
- Sculpture: 3-dimensional decorative works carved or constructed in any medium; painted or unpainted, abstract or figurative.
- Watercolor: Includes paintings primarily created with watercolor; includes gouache.
Electronic submission of entries is preferred. The entry process can be completed at graceridge.org/art-submission starting Wednesday, April 13, 2016. The form is also available as a downloadable PDF if you prefer to print. Completed entry forms can be scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grace Ridge reserves the right to refuse any work that does not meet the criteria or that contains unsuitable material. For additional information, contact Kristine Goodyear at email@example.com.