Madison Manufacturing Art Park Sculpture Program
APPLICATION DEADLINE: October 23rd, 2017
Exhibition Title: Madison Manufacturing Art Park
Location: Dr. Otis Duck Greenway
Mars Hill, NC
Organizer: Sara Nichols
Description Of Program: Madison County is pleased to announce a unique opportunity for artists to design a
sculpture to be part of a permanent collection on the expanding greenway in Mars Hill, NC. This is the first of a five
year program and is funded through the Community Foundation of WNC to encourage more arts based economic
and community development in Madison County.
The Madison Manufacturing Art Park Program seeks to:
• Create a dynamic visual experience for residents and visitors
• Increase exposure and opportunities for artists
• Educate the public about art through stimulating discussions
• Connect a manufacturing history to an economic development future
Madison County is now accepting entries into the Madison Manufacturing Art Park contest. Artists are invited to
submit designs for a sculpture to be added to permanent collection on the Dr. Otis Duck Greenway. Design should
reflect and pay tribute to the culture, history, and economic impact of Madison County’s rich manufacturing history
following guidelines listed below. Each year a different Madison County Manufacturing Company will be selected
to be the focus of the program. The selected artist will receive $6,000 for the project.
2018 submission will be based on Advanced Superabrasives Inc. See attached photos and information from industry.
Artists shall submit proposals that meet at least one of the three challenges:
1) Inspired by the people who create at Advanced Superabrasives Inc
2) Inspired by the product Advanced Superabrasives Inc manufactures
3) Made from recycled materials from Advanced Superabrasives Inc. Industry will have 6160 Aircraft grade
aluminum, 1045 steel in round form or shavings, aluminum powder, and bakelite plastic available.
Sculpture can attach to a concrete base if necessary. Piece should be no smaller than 4×4 and no larger than 6×6,
height no taller than 10ft. Photos and maps of area can be requested.
Each installation should be three- dimensional and engaging
Art will be displayed outdoors in our permanent collection
• Should be designed to withstand exposure to WNC exterior elements
• Have a lifetime of at least 10 years
• Be safe for interaction with general public
Madison County will handle the creation of the base if neccessary, but artist will be expected to provide a bolt
pattern for accurate mounting.
Winning artist will be provided half of budget at time of award and remaining half upon completion of project.
Application is open to all sculpture artists or collaborative teams. Artists should have demonstrable project
experience, and be able to submit examples of work as part of their proposal submission. Winner will be selected by
a juried committee.
Proposals should include
• Artist entry form (attached) with statement of interest
• A rendering of the proposed works with approximate dimensions
• Description of materials that will be used
• A written summary- Summary should include details of the proposed work and how it aligns with the
challenge to create a piece that is inspired by the people of the industry, the product of the industry, or the
material requirement. Include thematic content and specific media components to the proposal. Include
proposed material list and other relevant information.
• Artist resume or CV
• Up to five examples of previous work electronically in hi res images
Each entry must be unique and sole property of the applicant.
The Madison Manufacturing Art Park celebration & exhibit reception will be held in Summer 2018
To Apply: Click here!
1. Complete the Entry Form
2. Email forms to Sara Nichols, firstname.lastname@example.org
Submissions can also be mailed to:
Madison County Economic Development
5707 US Hwy 25/70
Marshall, NC 28753
**Make sure to include on the subject line: “Madison Manufacturing Art Park”
Application opens (September 11th, 2017)
Entry deadline is (October 23rd, 2017).
Winning artist will notified no later than (November 30th, 2017).
Sculpture will need to be completed by (May 31st)
Community unveiling event will be Summer 2018, planned for July 28th, 2018
The selected artists’ contract will be executed soon after the notification date, provided that the parties can mutually
agree upon such terms to ensure that as much time as feasible can be devoted to producing and delivering this
Artist is responsible for transportation of sculpture to the site.
**Winning sculpture will be installed June 2018, the organizer will follow up with any additional information and
details regarding time of set-up, etc.**