Application Guideline and Form
Iquitos – Peru
Cz. Residency Program
+51 940375795 (English/Espanol)
About Cz. Program
Cz is a Peruvian non-profit organization dedicated to artistic self- management and volunteering educational programs. One of its objectives is the exchange of experiences among students, young and professional artist, providing a platform for dialogue and conversation to stimulate new ideas and possibilities in the Peruvian art and culture. In addition, Cz aims to promote cultural exchange between national and international artists and craftsmen in order to generate intercultural artistic projects. Within these two lines of work Cz. and Correlación contemporánea team created the residency programs to continue creating dialogues that connect different artistic expressions with the context.
Khuyana Artist-in-residence Program
The residency program “Khuyana” welcomes visual artists, architects, photographers, other disciplines; national and international for the period of one month (up to three months) to develop research and production projects related to the Peruvian Amazon, the community of Cuyana – Iquitos and amazon ancient cultures (Quichua and Kukama Kukamiria). The program aims to create an environment of cultural exchange, artistic production and research, architectural projects, etc. In addition, the residency program works in close collaboration with the self-management space Correlación Contemporánea, the volunteer program Sami Khuyay – Free School and the community of San Pablo de Cuyana, offering artistic workshops for children and young people, as well as the care of the infrastructure and space needs.
The residence is located in the community Quechua Cuyana of Iquitos, around 20 minutes from Coronel FAP Francisco Secada Vignetta Airport (IQT) by land and 30 minutes by river, on Nanay River, a tributary of the Amazon River.
The community of Cuyana has its origin in the migration of the Andean Quechua ethnic group to the Peruvian jungle, now known as “Quichua”. The main activities of Cuyana inhabitants are the land and raising livestock. Nearby we find a community Kukama Kukamiria whose main activity is crafts, there is a tradition in the production of ceramics and balsa wood carving decorated with traditional motifs, vegetable fiber fabrics and other products that represent the cultural wealth held by the Community. Most of the population still preserving them Amazonian ancient culture but they are losing their original language.
– Grocery Store
– Street restaurants (average 10 PEN per meal)
– Amazon handicraft studios (Kukama art)
The studio is called “Wasicha”, is a floating indigenous maloka built with traditional techniques and materials of the Amazon ancestral architecture. The Wasicha was originally the center of Sami Khuyay – Free school whose mission is to strengthen indigenous culture and identity of children and young people of the community. In this time will host Khuyana artist-in-residence. The studio has a large multipurpose studio, three bedrooms available for artists, two bathroom, kitchenette, a large open space for installations, performances, etc., and camping area (only available from July to December).
How to apply
- Application form (find below)
- CV – Resume (one PDF file with: full name, education, recent exhibitions and work experience.)
- Portfolio (one PDF file or personal link, with: full name, statement and a minimum of 3 images of past works.)
These three files must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject: “AiR K 2018”. The documentation must be enclosed in one email. The organization will contact selected artist and projects.
Disciplines and media
- Visual Arts
- Other disciplines
- One month up to three months
(Residency period: March, April, May 2018)
Number of residents
- 700 US$ / month
Payment method: Western Union Money Transfer or Scotiabank transfer
1st instalment (350 US$)
2nd instalment (350 US$)
- Transportation airport – residence – airport (pickup schedule will be provide).
- Welcome session with a traditional amazon dinner.
- Residency period accommodation in floating amazon maloka with shared rooms.
- Weekly meetings and talks organized by coordinators to exchange information and ideas about a proposed topic.
- The organization is committed to holding two art exhibitions that will show the artist-in-residence products in two cities, the first one in Iquitos at the end of residency period, then pieces will be moving to the second exhibition in Lima.
- The AiR program will provide the space and promotion for resident’s open studios or workshops.
- The AiR program will provide the cultural promotion for resident’s exhibition in social medias, national Tv and/or radio.
- Invitation letters and certificates of participation to the participants will be extended.
Obligations of residents:
- Residents should pay their air tickets, meals, art supplies and other expenses.
- The residents must organize and lead one Open studio or workshop during their stay.
- The resident commits to develop the proposed project in the application form within the term of the residency program.
- Residents must have the ability to adapt to a new cultural context and be self-sufficient and independent to carry out their project or research.
- Ability to communicate in Spanish or English, if the resident needs translation service to communicate the organization is not responsible.
- During the period, resident artists are prohibited from carrying contraband, flammable materials, explosives, and other hazardous items, and must comply with the regulations governing the use of sites, space or facilities. Individuals are expected to be responsible for themselves.
Iquitos – Perú
City and country:
Date of birth:
Residency period: March/April/May
The application form has to be submitted individually for every member if you apply as a group.Nota:
- Applicants should fill correct and authentic information. If forged, the organization has the right to cancel the application with no dispute.
- Attach a photo of yourself to the signature block below.
- Please send your application to email@example.com.