The Asheville Area Arts Council (AAAC) is inviting applications for a part-time Communications & Operations Assistant. To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and list of three references to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted through November 29, 2017.
Communications & Operations Assistant
Part Time: approximately 18 hours a week (including some nights and weekends)
Pay Rate: $13/hour
The Communications & Operations Assistant is responsible for providing support to the Asheville Area Arts Council’s daily operations. Responsibilities will include general administrative office duties, greeting visitors and answering phone calls, maintaining the AAAC’s membership program, and assisting in marketing of AAAC programs and events. This position reports to the Executive Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Act as the main point person for members, which includes maintaining positive and friendly relations with current, new, and potential members.
- Generate and process new member welcome letters and membership renewals.
- Maintain membership database.
- Assist in the generation and upkeep of the donor and sponsorship database that contains donations/sponsorships received, listing of donor’s/sponsor’s name and contact information, and other pertinent details.
- Assist the Executive Director in generating donor/sponsorship forms and thank you letters in a timely manner.
- Maintain the AAAC’s general email address, firstname.lastname@example.org, answering incoming emails or forwarding them to the appropriate staff person.
- Welcome visitors to the AAAC and answer questions on the organization and community arts and culture happenings.
- Assist the AAAC staff in marketing programs and events, including:
- Adding events, content, and artist opportunities to the AAAC’s website.
- Generating social media posts and event listings.
- Submitting event information to free area media sources.
- Create and distribute newsletters.
- Assist in general administrative duties.
- Assist with AAAC programs and events as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Other duties as assigned to provide assistance to AAAC’s operations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Art, Marketing, Communications or related field or equivalent work experience.
- Experience with WordPress, social media platforms (Facebook and Instagram), and creating newsletters.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Self-motivated, strong organization skills, and the ability to multi-task in a fast paced, creative environment.
- Superior computer skills.
- Interest in the local arts and cultural scene.
About the AAAC:
The Asheville Area Arts Council’s mission is to be the collective voice for the arts, advancing Buncombe County by delivering resources, developing innovative collaborations, and fostering creativity in the community. The AAAC traces its origins to a Civic Arts Council founded in 1952. Working with local artists and arts organizations, the AAAC ensures the continued vitality of the rich artistic heritage of Asheville and Buncombe County. Since 2013, over $275,000 has been distributed from the AAAC to Buncombe County arts and culture organizations and individual artists through our grants program.
The AAAC also offers local artists the opportunity to act as professional curators to develop gallery exhibitions in the Thom Robinson and Ray Griffith Exhibition Hall. Through the Kids Tixx program, the organization provides free tickets to local cultural performances to families in need. AAAC advocacy efforts include being the Buncombe County lead for the Americans for the Arts economic impact study and a Summit for the Creative Sector. A partner of the state’s North Carolina Arts Council and Department of Cultural and Natural Resources, the AAAC is excited about our location in Asheville’s South Slope and our new projects, The Refinery Creator Space and an Arts & Wellness program for Veterans.