November 2, 2018 – November 30, 2018
2018 Veterans’ Juried Exhibition
November is Veterans’ Month! The Asheville Area Arts Council (AAAC) is excited to announce an exhibition to honor our local veterans and their artwork. In September 2017, the AAAC launched an Arts & Wellness program for veterans. This program has served as an alternative method of healing through art classes and workshops that provide avenues of expression that go beyond those traditionally offered. Through innovative collaborations with organizations and specially trained artists, we have brought the creative arts to this unique population in support of their recovery.
To further recognize our local veterans and illustrate how the arts can build bridges between the military and civilian communities, we are hosting a 2018 Veterans Juried Exhibition. On display at the Refinery Creator Space, November 2 – 30, 2018, we will be highlighting the artwork of veterans in the Arts & Wellness program as well as veteran artists in the community.
Cash prizes will be awarded to Best in Show, Second, and Third Place, as well as for two honorable mentions, which will be selected by representatives of the AAAC and the Charles George VA Medical Center. The winners will be announced at the opening reception on Friday, November 2, 2018, 5:00 – 8:00 pm.
- FREE to all WNC veteran artists.
- Works will be juried by digital image (hi res, +300dpi).
- Entries must be original work completed by the artist.
- All types of artwork (visual, craft, 2D, 3D, etc.) will be accepted.
- Each veteran can submit up to 2 pieces for consideration.
- Work cannot have been exhibited at the AAAC or Refinery in the past.
- 2D work must be framed, mounted, and wired for hanging. All other work must be installation ready.
- Size requirement: must fit through standard 8ft doorway and not exceed 75 lbs.
How to Submit Your Work:
Download the application provided. It must be filled out and emailed to Mamie@ashevillearts.com along with one hi res photo for each submitted piece. Please type Veterans Exhibit in the email subject line. Attach images with file names as last name_artwork title.
Don’t have hi resolution images of your work? No problem!
Join the AAAC at the Charles George VA Medical Center on Monday, August 27 from 1:00 – 4:00 pm to have your work professionally photographed. Each artist will receive one digital image of up to two submitted works via email. FREE to veterans applying in the 2018 Veterans’ Juried Exhibition.
Important Dates and Deadlines:
- Call for submissions: August 17 – September 28, 2018
- Photo Day at Refinery Creator Space: Monday, August 13, 1:00 – 4:00 pm.
- Photo Day at Charles George VA Medical Center: Monday, August 27 1:00 – 4:00 pm.
- Notifications will be sent: Friday, October 12, 2018
- Participating artist will be notified via email by Wednesday, October 17
- Accepted artwork drop off to 207 Coxe Ave: October 30-31, 2018
- Exhibition on view: November 2 – 30, 2018
- Opening reception: Friday, November 2, 5:00- 8:00 pm
- Exhibited artwork needs to be picked up: Monday, December 3