ARTISTS OPPORTUNITY: YWCA’s THELMA CALDWELL PLAYGROUND MURAL APPLICATION GUIDELINES
YWCA of Asheville is seeking proposals from mural artists to complete a mural project on our playground for 3-5 year olds. Please submit the following by 5pm on Friday, November 2, 2018:
- An artist resume with contact information and accomplishments. If submitting as a team, please submit a resume for each team member. Include 3 professional references who can attest to your public art projects or equivalent skills/experience.
- An artist (or team) statement of interest (no more than 1,000 words) describing why the artist/team is interested in painting the mural, previous mural or other public art experience, and the artist’s connection to or interest in the YWCA Asheville and the larger Asheville, NC community.
- Three to five work samples of previous mural projects and/or samples of previous non-mural artwork that represent artist’s capability and style.
- A concept drawing for the proposed mural design for this specific location
- A detailed and comprehensive project budget, not to exceed $4,000, for the proposed mural including which materials/media will be used, all labor including principal artist’s labor. Artists are responsible for providing all materials required to complete the project as specified and approved. This includes sealant layers as specified or alternates as approved.
The YWCA wishes to honor Thelma Caldwell, first African-American Executive Director of the YWCA Asheville and the 2nd in the entire country. The playground for 3-5 year olds is named in her honor and previously a mural with her image and those of children were featured on the wall to the left side of the playground.
RESTRICTIONS: Business names/logos, branded tags, acronyms, trademarks, and any commercial advertising are prohibited in artwork with exception of acknowledging the donors who supported the work.
SITE SPECIFICATIONS: The mural is to be painted on the beige concrete block wall on the playground for 3-5 year olds. The dimensions of the wall are 24 feet wide x 2 stories high. While there are some variations in the brick surface of the building, the exterior wall is painted and in good repair. Additional surface repair or preparation is not expected to be necessary.
- Professional qualifications, documented capability and experience to complete the project successfully in the required timeframe
- Artistic excellence, innovation, originality, and/or perspective
- Level of relevance to local community and program’s theme
- Alignment with the mission of the YWCA of Asheville: Eliminating Racism, Empowering Women and Promoting Peace, Justice, Freedom and Dignity for all
- Artwork submitted is Artist’s original, creative work – Proposals which contain imagery that is copyrighted by a different entity, stolen or copied from any other source will not be considered. Historic images/imagery may be incorporated if public domain or with permission for use.
This request for proposals is open to all artists in or near Western North Carolina. Community groups, youth and student artists who work with a professional artist on the project are also eligible. Art teachers who are interested in mentoring a group of students are encouraged to apply if they have mural or public art experience or work in collaboration with a professional artist that has such experience.
Please submit proposals by email, postal mail, or in person to:
185 South French Broad Avenue, Asheville, NC 28801
Deadline to submit proposals is 5pm, Friday, November 2, 2018.